Monday, March 2, 2009

Listen and Learn

I must admit that my children teach me probably way more than I teach them. Poor kids. I have thought of this lesson very often and last night was reminded of it once again. How long does one pray for something? Ya just keep praying until you get an answer. That is a lesson Cade (9 years old) has taught and reminded me of.

About 3 1/2 years ago, Cade had a friend who became gravely ill very suddenly. His friend went from playing baseball and being a kid one day, to becoming sick unto death the very next moment. The diagnosis was not and still is not clear, but this friend went into, and is still in, a vegetated state. He can not communicate with you nor can he understand you. He doesn't move. He is just there.

It was very hard for a 6 year old to learn of a friend, your own age, being so sick. All we knew is we had to pray for him. We had to plea and beg God to heal him. And from the very moment we learned of his sickness until today, Cade has asked God to heal that child each and every single night in his bedtime prayer. Glenn and I have both commented to one another time and time again how Cade reminds us to keep praying for that little person. He never misses.

I remember a few months ago he asked me, "Mom, why hasn't God healed *****?" I told him I just didn't know. Then he asked, "IS he going to heal him?" I told him again that I just don't know. Those were tough questions to ask and to answer. But for real, most of the time our answer is "I just don't know".

What a precious reminder to keep on praying. Keep on praying when there is no answer. Keep on praying when you can't see it helping. Cade has never considered to stop praying askin God to heal his friend. He just keeps on praying.

I have told him how cool it would be if one day his friend just woke up and showed up at one of his ballgames. He agrees that would be cool. And the truth is, one day his friend WILL be healed and as sad as it is to say, it might not be here.

So, as Dori in Finding Nemo would say, "Just Keep Praying, Just Keep Praying."

No comments:

Post a Comment