Tuesday, March 9, 2010

Who's team am I on afterall

Last weekend, Cade played his first baseball tournament with his new team. He has gotten to know these kids as they have practiced weekly since around the first of February. They all seem to have a super time together. Glenn is one of the assistant coaches and they both are having a tremendous time.

This was not Cade's best tournament. He did not do pitiful, however, it just wasn't one for the record books. It wasn't like the game at the All Starr State Tournament 2 years ago when he got up to bat with 2 on, 2 outs, and we were tied as he hit the winning run in. (I may forget where I put my keys, but always remember my babies fine moments in life) In this tournament he seemed to really struggle at the plate. Some of his difficulties were probably from this being a different kind of baseball than he had played before. He was playing open bases. He had tons of new signs to learn. But after all, it was just a warm up tournament.

On the way to the tournament we had a little pre game meeting in the truck. We told him that it was not the crying was wrong, but that crying really needed to be saved for the big stuff. He was reminded that getting out was something that would just happen....and not to cry. He was reminded that making mistakes would happen...but don't cry. We even told him he might get hurt....but only cry if you are hurt so bad you HAVE to cry. Shake off what you can.

Well during pre game warm ups, the coach called to "hold the balls". Well, Cade heard him but the boy he was throwing with didn't. So just as Cade turns around, WHOP! Right in the center of the forehead! Well....he cried...and rightfully so. He came to the fence with the biggest tears, no noise, just huge tears running down his face. He let out a big sniffle and said, "Mom, this one hurt bad enough to cry". I assured him he was right.

We were in our last game and Cade had struck out 2 of 3 times. The last time he came in the dugout with a Bickerdike attitude. (cause I KNOW it wasn't from the Rays.....:) )He tossed the bat, flipped his helmet and sat to pout. I gently reminded him that I CAN, and WOULD take him out of that dug out....fix that attitude and we would go home. He NEVER EVER EVER gets mad at anyone else's performance, but wow, he is his worst enemy at times.

He pouted for a long while after the game. I let him for a little bit. Then the speech began. "Cade, there will always be someone better than you. There will always be someone worse than you. But you CAN have the best attitude. That is something you have complete control of." I reminded him that being a good athlete isn't all about performance. It is more about the person.

Of course I am tying a spiritual lesson here. I know I took a long road to get here, but hey, it is MY blog. (ha ha) How many times have I pouted because things didn't really turn out the way I wanted? Have I been guilty of making little things big things in my life? What I was reminded of in this situation is that others are watching to see how I respond in those times. What is said of me when I have a tough time, pout and let it all out? I know what is said. The same thing that is said when a mom sees another child act out in the baseball dugout...."somebody needs to get a hold of that kid".

My friend, know this...God WILL get a hold of you. Have a fit and He is likely to just snatch you up and straighten you out. Like I told Cade....there will always be someone doing it better or worse, but YOU can control your attitude. You CAN be the best representative of Christ.

Remember, on the team of Christians....the back of your shirt reads: Jesus Christ. Don't embarrass the uniform.

No comments:

Post a Comment