Thursday, January 22, 2009

Thank you God for Shin Splints- Part I

I had said I would blog one day about Chase's beginnings. It is a very lengthy journey so I will write about it in parts. Here is Part I of ever how many parts it takes to tell the story.

August 10, 1995 was a day that changed my life. You know how you have those watermark days that really impact, or possibly change the way your life is going, that day was one of the most significant watermarks.

Glenn and I had prayed for our children before they were even conceived to be healthy physically, spiritually, and emotionally. (I would always tag on the little request that they be pretty too.) In 1994 we were pregnant with our first child and lost that baby to miscarriage in the 11th week. It was very hard. Very hard. It was hard to understand how that happened since we had been praying so diligently. When we had worked through our grief, I sighed in relief....as hard as it was, everyone has a heartache in life, and that one was mine. I assumed I had met my quota and all things would be rosy from there on. Once again, we resumed praying for a child.

I soon became pregnant and we were so excited. Things were turning out "just like we planned". I had been going to the dr. regularly and things were going great. It appeared that "the baby" was going to be really big. At my 38th week visit, my dr. examined me and came to the conclusion that we would need to induce labor that week b/c this little one was not so little, she could feel the baby's head down low, and I was progressing toward delivery. We were so excited and made plans for the arrival of "our" baby.

The morning of August 10th was full of excitement and giggles. Everything was perfect. Just like I had planned. My cute gowns were packed. I had a cute outfit on. The new camcorder was packed and the camera was full of film. All of the grandparents were there. It was going just perfect.

I stayed on the medication to induce labor all day with not one single contraction...or at least not one that brought discomfort. When the doctor came in that afternoon to check me and break my water, she seemed quite surprised. The baby had actually receded up and its head was not near as low. My bag-o-waters was up in my abdomen and she was unable to rupture them. Therefore, the conclusion was made that she would need to deliver this little one by c-section. A tad bit disappointed, I resolved to the fact that this was the fate. Not the plan. But I was gonna be flexible. (ha)

Charles Glenn Bickerdike, Junior (Chase) was born @ 4:11pm. It was incredible. He was beautiful. It was absolutely the most incredible experience I had encountered to date. He weighed 8 lbs 11 oz (2 weeks early). I had loved him for so long and finally got to see him face to face. I think he loved me and Glenn as soon as he saw us.

As with all c-sections, there is a little bit of 'puttin' back together again' after delivery. Glenn took Chase to the nursery and I stayed in to be put back together. (not alot of options) I then was moved on to recovery and waited and waited and waited. Nobody was coming to see or visit me. I delivered at a hospital that I worked for at one time, so I knew all of the nurses and crna, so they kept me company. I still kinda wondered where everybody was, then i realized i was way down the list. They were gooning at the perfect little baby.

I soon was made aware of where everyone was. True, they were all looking at my baby, but I was not going to be able to hold him for a while. He was having a little trouble breathing and needed oxygen, so they placed him under an oxygen hood to assist him. Everyone thought he had "c-section" lungs and it would clear up in a little bit. It was common for c-section babies to have a little moisture in their lungs at first, but it resolved itself very quickly. I was still a very sad mom. I wanted to hold my baby. Little did I know then, that my sadness would become deeper and deeper....almost despair very soon. (to be continued)

No comments:

Post a Comment