Tuesday, November 3, 2009

Brotherly Love

A dear little 14 year old friend posted a great scripture on her facebook yesterday. It was one that we all need reminding of and I know I needed it. Ephesians 4:29 "Do not let any unwholesome talk come out of your mouths, but only what is helpful for building others up according to their needs, that it may benefit those who listen." Whew! I also was invited yesterday, via facebook to participate in "30 Days of Thanks". In participating you post in your status, only one post per day, something you are thankful for. 30 days will truly not be enough time, but you get the idea.

We have a little "tradition" of sorts that we do when we sit down for dinner. We play 'best thing/worst thing'. Each person shares their best and worst of the day. However, with the encounters I had earlier in the day, I thought I would put a new twist to our dinner talk game. As I was fixing everyone's plate, I asked that each person would be thinking of 2 things good to say about each family member. That really caused them to change gears. They are not truly mean to each other but they spend a large amount of time aggravating one another and being pests to each other. This caused them to be speechless for a moment.

As we sat down to dinner, I explained how things would go. I would select a family member and we would go around the table and everyone would say something that is good about that person. You would even get the chance to say something about yourself. And it had to be good!

The game began with Chase being the topic. I asked, "Kendall, what is something good about Chase?" She replied in a very innocent voice, "Chase is nice to me." Awww. Glenn's turn was next and he answered with "Chase has a great smile." My turn allowed me to say, "Chase is kind to everyone." Then it was Cade's turn. I sort of knew it might be hard for brothers to come up with something that was not only positive, but nice. Cade sat and thought. He thought and sat. What seemed like hours of waiting was probably only minutes. I finally said, "Ok, Cade. Say something." That is when he raised his head and with all honesty and sincerity he said, "Chase has nice pimples."

With food in mouth we all burst into laughter! Cade said, "It was good. You said I had to say something good and that was good. He does have nice pimples." When I finally gained composure, I agreed. He had said something good. (kinda)

Growing up my sister and I could be very critical. Mother told us one day that we needed to only say something nice about people. She said there was always something nice to say about everyone. That is when my sister decided that when she couldn't find something nice to say, she would just say, "Well, she is clean." It has become a phrase we use alot to each other. I guess, "He has nice pimples" is my children's phrase.

I did remind me of the scripture my little friend had posted. Although Cade's words were not COMPLETELY unkind, they most likely did not build Chase up. I am thinking he wasn't really wanting to have the nicest pimples in town. I also was reminded how thankful I was that my family could sit down together for dinner and laugh and love.

I will always be reminded of brotherly love and nice pimples the next time I encounter someone who is clean.

No comments:

Post a Comment