Sunday, January 3, 2010

The Utility of The Nativity

Isn’t it funny how there are words we use everyday and never really think of what they mean? Let’s take the word utility. True, when someone uses that word you know what it means from the context of how it is used as in utility room. But how often do we think of the individual words and what they mean?
Kendall, now 5, has always been amazed at baby Jesus and what he represents at Christmas. She loves taking all of the Christmas decorations from the attic and helping place them in our home to prepare for Christmas. This year she even instructed each family member as to their job for decorating. But above all, she loves baby Jesus.
As we were getting things in their place she suddenly paused. “Mom, don’t forget the utility scene!” Over the years each of my children have shared their little word mix-ups with me and some I have even jotted some down so I would never forget them. They have all 3 come up with some precious ones. As I heard this one it immediately put a huge smile on my face and a giggle in my heart. “Oh baby, I wouldn’t dare forget that.” (making sure to not correct her cute word fumble)
The rest of the evening and onto the next day I kept playing “utility scene” in my mind. Surely there is a spiritual truth in that innocent statement. That is when I decided to look up the definition of this word I have often used and possibly misused. The Webster’s Dictionary defines the word this way: Utility: n. to use 1) usefulness 2) something useful as to the service of the public 3) a company providing such a service.
All too often we place our nativity scenes in our homes as just that, a scene. When in truth, the nativity scene is meant to be a utility scene. To be a utility scene that is used. To be a scene that represents the truth of Christ’s birth and the hope that He brought to this world as our savior. I would say that it is a scene that is truly “something useful as to the service of the public”. The truth is that it is a “company providing a service”…a service of sacrifice. Christ humbled himself and came to us for usefulness.
I urge you as you place your nativity scene this year to make the scene a utility scene this year. Use it’s message to share God’s love….it was sent to be used.

1 comment:

  1. I say this on almost all of your post, but I love reading your thoughts. Thanks so much for sharing - I've missed meeting you here.

    ReplyDelete